Saturday, January 22, 2011

Sushi sells sea shells by the sea shore

The in-laws invited us to lunch. We're po' folks, so they take pity on us and drag us out once in a while. The sushi, as always, was amazing. Even the 10 year-old loves it. We rarely eat out, being the Thrifty McFrugalsons we are. When we do, we like it to be something we can't make as easily at home. No steakhouses for us. The mister has perfected that at home. We tend to go international. Thai. Indian. Greek. Sushi. It's all good.

Not much going on here. We're supposed to get another snow storm tonight and tomorrow. I've settled in with some laundry and some knitting. I did pull out the sewing machine this week and made me another rice bag. I had some dried lavendar from my patio garden, so I threw that in there as well. Pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes, then it's nice and toasty and fragrant. My back has been talking to me, so I usually wedge it around my lower back and my knitting chair. I need to sew more. It helps with the instant gratification that knitting leaves to be desired.

I cast on for a three way shawl (link to come) to use up the Lion Brand Amazing I thought I would love but didn't. It's very velcro, so not very pleasant to work with. The colors are pretty, but it's scratchier than I thought it would be. There's an error in the pattern that I discovered right away. The cast-on is 40, but the third row is k2tog, yo all the way across. This has you ending with a yarnover which basically has you purling a hanging piece of yarn on the first stitch of the return row. Others found the same issue. There are a couple of options, but I think I'll go with beginning and ending with a single knit stitch, and doing a yo, k2tog to the last stitch, then finishing with a knit stitch. That seems to be the most symetrical solution.

Not rocket science, really, but I"m such a rule-follower that altering patterns is never my first thought. No wonder I hate errata so much. When I was a new knitter, I always did exactly what the pattern said and drove myself nuts on more than one occasion thinking that I was surely doing something wrong. It never occured to me that there could be mistakes in published patterns. And not just a few. It's apparently a given. Now I know to search or just adapt if it's something simple like this one.

No comments: